February 17, 2010

What if God Treated Us the Way We Treat Him?


I teach the Jr. Girls Sunday School class at my church and something in the last lesson I taught really stood out to me. It was talking about tithing and giving not only 10% of your income, but also giving of your talents and your time. I have always known that you should give 10% of your income to God through your local church, and I always knew that God wanted you to give of your talents and your time. However, this lesson suggested giving 10% of your time to God. I started counting it up and relized that 10% of an hour is only 6 minutes and 10% of a whole day would only be 2.4 hours. It should be easy to devote that much time to God, but I fail daily.

I guess the reason this really got to me was because I find it so easy to spend time doing anything and everything else I want to do. I can spend hours watching television or playing on the computer. But I always struggle with spending more time with God; reading His Word and talking to Him. I want to be the person God wants me to be and I know I fail Him so much, but I am so thankful that God spends more time on us than what we give Him. What if God treated us the way we treat Him sometimes? What if when we started to pray God said "wait until later...I'm busy doing something else right now". How horrible that would be. Yet how many times do we say those same words to God? Maybe not verbally, but with our actions. I am so thankful that God's love is unbiased and unconditional, matchless and without end. I am determined to spend more time with God and grow in my relationship with Him. It truely is the desire of my heart!

The lyrics below are to a song that I absolutely LOVE! The name of the song is "Patching It Up". The meaning rings so true!

It seems that every time I need Him, my Lord is always there
When no one else seems to have the time, Jesus always cares
But I wonder just what I might do, if I called His name one day
And the Heavens above just opened up and I heard my Savior say...


I'm through patching it up
I'm through giving you love, when your world is torn apart
And I'll never again wash away your sin, or mend your broken heart
I'm through bearing your burdens, and all of the hurtings,
And giving your poor heart ease
Tell me why should I do anything for you, you never do anything for me


But I thank my lucky stars each night, my Lord is not that way
I know He watches over me each and every single day
And I never wonder about his love, for His mercy flows so free
And I know exactly what He'll say when I'm down upon my knees...


I'll always patch things up
I'll always give you love, when your world is torn apart
No matter where you've been I'll wash away your sin,
And I'll mend your broken heart
I'll always bear all your burdens, and all of the hurtings,
And I'll give your poor heart ease
Yes I'll always do anything for you, no matter what you do to me

Thank you God for loving me, even when I'm not loveable and for always being there for me even though I don't deserve it!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing that- its so true and really spoke to me. There are countless times that I am calling on God for something...anything and he is always there. But me, thats another question. That song does ring so true. We are so fortunate to serve a great and awesome God. :)

    ReplyDelete